Monday, July 5, 2010

what a week

After 8 days in the very warm city of Cucuta, Colombia, we (Pastor Jorge, Pastora Sulamita, Karla, Jorge Andres and I) are back in Bogota. We went to Cucuta for a conference at the church of Sulamita’s parents, a big and beautiful church also called Centro Cristiano. Even though my limited Spanish means I couldn’t understand everything the speakers shared at the conference, I loved being there! The passion and sincerity I saw in the people sharing and attending the conference, as well as the incredible hospitality that I am finding typical of South America, were contagious.

Centro Cristiano in Bogota has an amazing group of young women who dance at church every weekend, and they all made the trip to Cucuta to share their dancing at the conference as well. I loved being able to spend the week with these girls, each one of them so mature and so kind. They taught me some Spanish rap, always made sure I was comfortable, and truly blew me away with their selflessness and love for the Lord. I got to sleep in a bed, in a room with air conditioning, and I was still tired every day; all these girls (11 of them) slept on the floor of a classroom with a fan, and they still smiled all day, every day. Great memories with a great group of girls.

In addition to spending lots of time at the church, we got to explore a little bit, too. Swimming in the river, driving over to Venezuela, a quick stop at some kind of outdoor factory where they hand make roof tiles and bricks, and enjoying fresh ice cream at the end of a long day all made their way into the agenda!



Being in Cucuta made me love Colombia even more...

No comments:

Post a Comment