Thursday, June 3, 2010

almost here...


In just a few days I will be leaving for Bogota, Colombia. It's hard to believe that this trip is actually here! When I was 14 years old and taking my first Spanish class in high school, I read an article about Colombia and later that night had a journal entry about wanting to go there someday. And ten years later God has amazingly weaved together so many events and details that have paved the way for me to serve there!

I was able to visit Bogota for a short weekend this past February, and I wrote this on the way home:

"...I think I'm going back! I have no misconceptions that I am going to change the world, nor do I like the idea of the American coming in and saving the day- but the people in Colombia were so excited that I was there, so incredibly welcoming, and they really want something I have: the English language- the only thing I can conclude is that the American girl with the awful Spanish accent represents some sort of hope for these kids. Blanca introduced me to her mom, and she grabbed my hands and said por favor regrese... please come back..."

So, I am going back! For eight weeks I will live in Bogota with Pastor Jorge Trujillo, his incredible wife, Sulamita, and their two kids, and I'll be teaching a lot of people as much English as we can fit in to two months! But this amazing family will be giving me so much more than I can bring them, because I already know that Pastor Jorge and La Pastora serve and serve and serve some more, and on top of all that they give to their family, friends, and community, they are welcoming me into their lives. I am so excited to learn from them, to (hopefully) finally get the Spanish language down, and to let the Lord break my heart for what breaks His.

A lot of you have asked me how you can be praying, and I think the biggest things on my mind going in to the trip are:
- Building relationships with the Trujillo's
- Quick adjustments to a new culture and language
- Patience, discernment, and wisdom
- And of course, safety and health

Thank you for all of your love and support! I am so excited to bring you along with me to el hermoso país, the beautiful country of Colombia!

Con cariño,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Mahone!

    This blog has the makings of a winner!!! :) Thank you for letting us in and allowing us to experience what the Lord is going to do in and through you in Colombia. I am so excited to read weekly about your adventures and I consider myself blessed to be apart of this amazing journey. Being a stay at home mom you know this is the closest I will get to actually going on a missions trip... So, thank you for letting me feel apart of the bigger picture that God has in allowing us to serve those that are thousands of miles away. You are literally being HIS hands and feet! Wow!!

    The Love family will be praying for you!

    Your loyal Blog Follower,
    Emily, and Lucy, Gray and Baby Trey!

    ReplyDelete