Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the heart behind it


Que-li. One of the girls here drew me a picture and wrote my name on it. Que-li—because in Spanish “Que” is pronounced like “Kay” and “li” is pronounced like “lee.” So since Katie is too difficult to pronounce, much less spell, I am now just Que-li. But the thing that makes me smile the most about this picture is the effort Katarina put into figuring out how to write my name on there. She used everything she knew and came up with her best attempt at giving me a picture with my name on it.

The more I think about it, this is a lot like our walk with God. Not only are we not really speaking the same language, but He has been studying a whole lot longer than we have. So when we come to him with our best efforts at religion, with all we know and all we can make sense of, with our closest attempt at living a life that honors him and models Jesus, I sometimes think it is about as close as Que-li is to Katie.

But I still love the picture, because her heart was in it. And how amazing to know that our Heavenly Father just wants our hearts, not the outcome of our best efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment