Monday, June 14, 2010

Bogota



In the last three days, I have driven, walked, or rode a bike around a whole lot of Bogota! We went to El Norte section to watch some soccer games, then up to the mountains to the beautiful Iglesia, back downtown to the government buildings, and far to the south to El Parque Florida on bikes. I am starting to get the layout of the city down, and by now I know how to get back to my house if I am ever lost anywhere! Oh, and I have a new favorite sopa, se llama Ajiaco; honestly, the best soup I have ever tasted in my life!

We took some soccer jerseys and cleats to las canchas today, and the kids loved them! How easy it is to be generous and how thankful these kids were makes me wonder why I am not willing to give, and give generously, more often.

Bogota is a city that is juxtaposed with beauty and uncertainty. In one moment I am up in the mountains looking down at this beautiful city, and in the next I am surrounded by people that I can’t assume the best about. This is a really hard thing for me, as I want to smile and think that everyone is harmless. But, having to keep your guard up all the time is just another outcome of living in a world broken by sin. Living in this kind of environment for the last six days has taught me a lot about myself and even more about how much I need Jesus- and how cool it is that he comes with us no matter where we are!

Every day I learn something new here, whether it is a few Spanish words or something about the culture of Colombia, or even something about myself. And I get a little more comfortable every day, too! English classes will be starting this week, when Pastor Jorge and La Pastora return from a business trip to Panama, can’t wait to come back with stories from that!

2 comments:

  1. Katie Myhoney :)

    You are a GREAT writer! I am looking forward to following your blog. What a grand adventure God has you on. I know you will be a light and an encouragement to everyone you meet.
    Our love & prayers are with you,
    xo the madsens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Brenda! Your prayers and encouragement mean so much to me!!

    ReplyDelete